ECE Continuing Education / Professional Development
Providing financial support to child care staff to continue their education will enhance skills and qualifications. Continuing Education Program is intended to enhance the ability of licensed child care centres and family home day care agencies to recruit and retain staff.
Professional Development Courses Now Available. Contact us for more information 902-564-6112
To receive Continuing Education Program funding for 2018/2019, the following criteria must be met:
- The applicant must be currently working with children or families in a licensed child care facility;
- Eligible child care staff includes teachers, directors and assistant directors. Family home day care providers are not eligible;
- Applicants must submit the Continuing Education Program Application for the Course Reimbursement form within 60 days of the completion of the course.
The courses must be taken towards obtaining Level 2 (ECE diploma), Level 3 classification (Child & Youth Study, Mount St. Vincent University, undergraduate degree), Level 1 classification, the Early Childhood Administrator Continuing Education Certificate Course from Mount St. Vincent University, Early Childhood Leadership Training Program from Nova Scotia Community College, Leadership en petite enfance from Universite Sainte Anne and the Inclusion and Intervention Diploma from Jane Norman College.
ReimbursementEligible staff can qualify for reimbursements totaling:
- Up to a maximum of $1000.00 per year if employed part-time (70-120 hours per month)
- Up to $5000.00 per year if employed full-time (more than 120 hours per month)
Staff members taking advantage of this reimbursement will be required to commit to work in a Nova Scotia licensed child care centre or FHDC agency for 750 or 1500 hours depending on the amount reimbursed and the timing of the reimbursement.
(above information is from the Department of Early Years website – www.ednet.ns.ca/earlyyears
Relevant certifications acquired during this program include:
- Standard First Aid
- CPR Level C, Fire and Safety
- 3. Child Abuse Protocol
- Food Handlers
- WHMIS/Occupational Health & Safety